Monday, March 21, 2011

Paranoia of Herod

Herod the Great was called great for the cities and buildings he built during his reign. History remembers him as the great builder of Roman-era Palestine. He rebuilt the city of Jerusalem, including the temple as well as Caesarea, Masada, and this - the Herodion in Bethlehem.

Herod the Great was also a paranoid monster. Caesar Augustus said of Herod, “I would rather be Herod’s pig than his son.” since Herod followed Jewish law and would not eat pork but killed his wife and three of his own sons. It was also clear from the design of his palaces that he was determined to protect himself at all costs. These retreats offered him all the conveniences of the times and featured levels of guards and soldiers before anyone could have access to the King.

Herod is infamous for his order to kill all Bethlehem children under the age of three. This is known as the Massacre of the Innocents and while we were in Bethlehem we had a rare opportunity to visit the tomb of these children.

Before our trip, Dean got put into contact with a member of the Church living in Bethlehem and he offered to take us around to see the sights. The guy grew up in this relatively small town and knew everyone. At one point he went over and talked to a monk who unlocked some gates and led us down into some caves below the Church of the Nativity.

I can't find any reference to this anywhere, but they told us that these are the remains of the children killed by Herod's murderous decree. History also says that there were probably 20-30 children of this age in Bethlehem at the time, and that's about how many small skulls are piled here. Thinking about the anguish that the murder of each of these kids would have caused was one of the most moving moments of the trip. These children are considered by the Catholic Church to be the first Christian martyrs.

5 comments:

Ashlee Merback said...

Matt, I am not sure if you even realize that I still follow your blog, but I do! I have LOVED reading all your posts about your trip to Jerusalem. I am so, so jealous. What an incredible experience for you and Marta to share. Thanks for blogging about it so that I can learn more and live vicariously through you guys!

BTW, I just finished a great book called "The Robe" that you would probably really appreciate now that you have traveled in all the areas the book takes place in and learned all the history from the time before, during and after Christ.

Matt said...

Hey Ash, so I have a third reader! So good to hear from you! It was an awesome trip. Thanks for the book recommendation, I'm reading one now - The Source - that is a historical fiction on Israel. It's been really interesting and is very well done.

Ashlee Merback said...

I'll definitely add the Source to my reading list. We really need to get our boys together one of these days (I am up to four boys now). Maybe a day at Utah Lake?! Carry the tradition on to the next generation...

Matt said...

Somehow age hasn't made me any better on the wakeboard, but we're in! You need to add me to the list to see your blog though...mattgrandon@gmail.com. I'm pretty sure our boys would get along. I have a video I could post that is nearly identical to the playing football in the backyard one you have.

Ashlee Merback said...

If your boys are football/BYU/sports fans, that is all it takes to be "in" with my boys. My boys are already WAY bigger Cougar fans than I ever was! Speaking of Cougars, tonight is one BIG night. I have no doubt you guys will be watching and cheering too. Let's go Jimmer...