Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Old City of Jerusalem





Before our visit, I pictured Jerusalem as a quiet, quaint kind of town. I didn't realize its population - over 800,000 people or its geography - houses everywhere up and down very steep terrain. I've found it difficult to describe the Old City - you almost have to experience for yourself to understand it. One thing that stands out is the number of cemeteries. A lot of the city is surrounded by cemeteries since it is believed by many that this is the site of the first Resurrection.

The Old City has narrow streets that in many places turn into tunnels from ancient apartments overhead. These streets are often lined with shops that flow onto the street and are nearly always packed with people. Then occasionally a car will drive through sending people into shops just so the car can pass. One of the things I hadn't considered are the number of tourists - everywhere. One morning outside our hotel we counted 21 full size tour buses picking up passengers of different nationalities to take them to the sites. In the city you have a melting pot of foreign tourists, ultra-orthodox Jews, Muslims, and Armenian Christians. I really don't think there is anywhere in the world like this place.

No comments: