Saturday, August 27, 2016

Would You Like Some Buffalo Wings with That?

Oil going down. Maybe it'll lighten?
Things don't always go so smoothly. For several months we'd planned to use oil on the floors. Apparently it's a very European thing to do, and after a lot of research we were sold.

In our last house I still remember the gut-punch I felt after sliding the refrigerator in place and seeing a three foot long
Why's it so red?!?
scratch in the new polyurethane finish. One of the major advantages of using an oil finish is that the oil seeps into the wood so scratches and wear will hardly show.

With our crazy ones, that was a big advantage. We ordered some samples from Europe and used our scraps of floor to choose our color. The problem was that it didn't go down nearly the same color as our samples.
Let's sand this off!

It was sooo red. It made the family room feel like a TGI Fridays bar.

Break out the drum sander. This floor was way too much work for us to not love it. We're going back to the old reliable stain options.

1 comment:

Ashlee Merback said...

Jake and I have been working on laying wood throughout our main floor too. We are doing a basic straight cut install and it is still a pain! I cannot imagine how much time and effort your herringbone must have taken and then to mess it up with that awful red tone would be devastating (pretty sure I would cry for days that I had just added more work to the already huge list). It is going to be STUNNING when you guys are done. Can't wait to see the after photos.